yaneetha
Reviewed by yaneetha

freddy
Reviewed by freddy

vassie
Reviewed by vassie

More..

Review Detail

Whilst this trip might not be for everyone, I was very moved by my experience on Robben Island. As a young South African, I am sad to say that I did not realize just how much history was on this little island off our coastline. Sure, I knew that Mandela and a few other important political prisoners were incarcerated there. I didn't know the rest though - the leper colony, the life of the wardens, the isolation homes. The escape stories. The struggle and the strife. The cruelty of having no windows. The cold. Sparks was a phenomenal tour guide who gave me a glimpse of what life was like on the island (he himself being an ex-convict of Robben Island). He even spoke with an accent not dissimilar to Tata Madiba.

Foreigner or South African, everyone (especially those part of the Rainbow Nation) should make the pilgrimage across the ocean to learn and absorb this piece of our history, of Madiba's legacy.

That being said, it is a LOT further than it looks so if you are a motion sick traveler like I am, then make sure you are up for the long boat ride (IT IS WORTH IT!!).
Overall Rating 

Value for Money 

Selection/ Collection 

Experienced guide 

Worth a Visit 

Lauren Jane Hart Reviewed by Lauren Jane Hart March 30, 2015
View all my reviews (1)

A trip down our history's lane

Whilst this trip might not be for everyone, I was very moved by my experience on Robben Island. As a young South African, I am sad to say that I did not realize just how much history was on this little island off our coastline. Sure, I knew that Mandela and a few other important political prisoners were incarcerated there. I didn't know the rest though - the leper colony, the life of the wardens, the isolation homes. The escape stories. The struggle and the strife. The cruelty of having no windows. The cold. Sparks was a phenomenal tour guide who gave me a glimpse of what life was like on the island (he himself being an ex-convict of Robben Island). He even spoke with an accent not dissimilar to Tata Madiba.

Foreigner or South African, everyone (especially those part of the Rainbow Nation) should make the pilgrimage across the ocean to learn and absorb this piece of our history, of Madiba's legacy.

That being said, it is a LOT further than it looks so if you are a motion sick traveler like I am, then make sure you are up for the long boat ride (IT IS WORTH IT!!).